Not passing on any excuses to make cakes, I spotted the perfect chance as tomorrow my project manager will be back from his paternity leave, so to celebrate the twins finally came home, I’ll just have to go all out and prepare some pretty cakes!
I love making cupcakes but to be honest I don’t particularly enjoy eating more than 2 of them, so everytime I make a batch, I have to take it into work and hope they will disappear. So at first I was considering chocolate cupcakes, because surely, everyone loves chocolate cupcakes. But then I spotted Earl Grey cupcakes from the hummingbird bakery! I love tea and so I just have to have a go! The recipe comes from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days. I didn’t buy the book, but I bought the app and it has videos to show you the signature hummingbird swirl…. which as you can see I didn’t replicate that very well… haha.
For the cakes:
- 3 earl grey tea bags
- 3 tbsp hot water (just boiled)
- 80g butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 240g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 200ml milk
- 2 large eggs
For the icing:
- 50ml milk
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g butter
- Put the teabags in the hot water and let it infuse for 30mins.
- Preheat oven to 190’C and line the muffin tin with liners.
- In a mixer, mix together butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk and eggs, then pour in the infused tea, squeezing out every drop of liquid from the teabags. Save the teabags for the icing.
- Pour 3 quarters of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, mix slowly to combine first, then increase speed to mix till the batter is smooth. Pour in the rest of the milk mixture and mix until smooth and lump free.
- Fill the muffin liners no more than 2/3 full, bake for 18 – 22 minutes, until well risen and golden. When cooked, cool on a cool rack entirely.
- To make the icing, put the used teabags in the 50ml milk and leave to infuse for 30mins.
- Mix together the butter and the icing sugar, now mix very slowly at first as it will go everywhere… if using mixer, remember to cover it with a tea towel first. Then mix in the tea flavoured milk until fluffy.
- Ice the cooled cakes and decorate! Enjoy x