This is one of the kids’ favourite dinner, and one of mine too! For different reasons… kids obviously just love the carb, and I love it because it can be done in 20 minutes from start to finish. Perfect for a busy family!
Apart from the broccoli, everything else is cupboard ingredients and added benefit is that if you cooked too much, it’s a nice lunch the next day! Ingredients are very forgiving, a bit more of this and a bit more of that won’t hurt, just taste before you finish.
I made enough for 2 adults and 2 kids but I don’t eat a lot so just adjust to your own portion size! I also used a shop-bought garlic baguette and it’s a nice addition.
Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- 2 sauce pans
- Knife and chopping board
- A masher (or a fork)
- 2-3 tbsp pine nut toasted
- 1 broccoli
- 350 g farfalle / penne
- 3 tbsp pesto
- salt and pepper
- Put a big pan of water to boil for your pasta, and a smaller one for the broccoli.
- Put pine nuts in a pan to toast. I used a little skillet which distribute heat evenly! Watch it as it goes from nicely toasted to burnt really quickly! When done, rest in a little bowl.
- Put pasta in the big saucepan, cook for about 10 mins or until al dente. Check the package instruction.
- Meanwhile chop your broccoli into little florets.
- Put the broccoli in the smaller pan to boil for 4-5 minutes, or just until the stem is soft (test with a knife, if it goes through then it's fine. You don't want a mush)
- Drain the broccoli and pasta.
- Mash the broccoli slightly.
- Put pesto in the cooked pasta and give it a good mix. (You can adjust how much pesto to put in). Tip in the broccoli and mix again, season with salt and pepper, grate some parmesan on top and you're done!