I’ve so glad I joined Fresh from the Oven, otherwise I would never be able to try these yummy bread every month! I kept saying I’d make the Khrushchev dough again as it was so nice and so easy, however before I could do that, I’m struck with another really easy and yummy bread recipe!!!
This month’s host is Dom from Belleau Kitchen, as always… I cheated by using my bread machine to knead the dough, I’m very lazy! Ok it looks a bit odd, but that is all down to my braiding skill…
So here goes the recipe:
- 1 sachet or 7g easy blend dried yeast
- 1tsp clear honey
- 8fl oz lukewarm milk
- 50g melted butter
- 16oz plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten – in separate bowls – one for the mix and one for glazing
- Poppy seed or sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine the yeast, honey, milk and butter, stir and leave for 15mins to dissolve. (It will form a frothy head like above!)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and one of the beaten eggs. Stir to make a dough. (It will be very sticky and will definitely need extra flour for kneading) — I used my machine by pouring all liquid in first, then dry ingredients on top. And about an extra 8 teaspoons of flour, since it was really sticky even for a machine!
- Knead till smooth and elastic (a good 15 mins) then transfer to a clean bowl, cover and leave to prove for 1 1/2 hours. — machine kneaded for about 25 mins and I left it in the machine to rise, as it keeps it warm in there.
- Grease a baking sheet. Knock back the dough and divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll to shape each piece into a long strip for plaiting.
- Now Dom said to braid from the middle, but for the life of me I do not know how to braid from the middle… so I just stuck them from the top, and braided.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 30 mins. Preheat your oven to 190’C
- Brush with egg and bake for 35 – 40 mins or until golden and sounds hollow if you tap it.
Result: Very, very yummy! Although my braiding skill means that my bread looks a bit odd… I think I didn’t braid it tight enough and it kind of spreaded out. But the egg wash gave it such a lovely shine and the smell… it is superb. It was so good we had it for dinner and half of it is gone already. Ashleigh ate a few slices with nothing on it! Not even butter, just plain bread!